|Press RoomFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE|
MPI Reveals Founding Chancellors
Meeting industry visionaries to deliver trend insights, mentor MPI members
TORONTO – 21 July 2002 – Meeting Professionals International (MPI) today revealed its founding Chancellors, a new braintrust of seven industry visionaries who will serve as a valuable resource for MPI members and help chart the future of the meeting industry.
The new Chancellors were officially introduced to the world at the Opening General Session of MPI’s 2002 World Education Congress, 21 July. The Chancellors program was founded to begin a comprehensive leadership and mentoring program for MPI members.
The new Global Chancellors are:
- Corbin Ball, CMP, chief executive officer, Corbin Ball Associates, Bellingham, Wash. (also named MPI’s 2002 International Supplier of the Year)
- Bill Boyd, CMP, CMM, CITE, president/chief executive officer, Sunbelt Motivation & Travel Inc., Dallas
- Coleman, CMM, president, The Conference Works, Mineral Point, Wisc.
- Hattie Hill, chief executive officer, Hattie Hill Enterprises, Inc., Dallas
- Edward E. Scannell, CMP, CSP, director, Center for Professional Development and Training, Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Unni Soelberg-Claridge, CMP, CMM, president/owner, EventPlan Coordination & Management, Inc., Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Michele Wierzgac, CMM, president/chief executive officer, Michele & Company, Oak Lawn, Ill.
From more than 40 initial candidates nominated by MPI members from around the globe, these seven founding Chancellors were chosen by the Chancellors Selection Committee based on previous mentoring experience, tenure as an MPI member, global involvement and leadership roles within MPI and other associations.
"MPI has tapped the expertise of some of the industry’s most visionary professionals who will now share their collective wisdom with our members," said Edwin L. Griffin Jr., CAE, president and CEO of MPI. "The Chancellors program strengthens the value of MPI membership by delivering hands-on access to this braintrust’s knowledge, which our members can incorporate into their day-to-day work lives."
Chancellors will contribute to MPI members and the meeting industry by sharing collective and individual insights on current trends and future opportunities through creation of an annual "Meeting Industry Vision" white paper and participation in industry speaking engagements. Additionally, through chapter speaking engagements and other vehicles, they will connect with members at the grassroots level to offer valuable insights on association leadership, career success, networking advice and market opportunities.
Universal Orlando Resorts, founding sponsor of the MPI Chancellors program, hosted an orientation program for the new Chancellors on May 31 to officially kickoff the program.
"Universal Orlando Resorts is supporting this far-reaching initiative because it will accelerate the careers of meeting professionals and reinforce the positive impact meetings and events bring to every organization," said Teri Harrington, vice president of park and event sales, Universal Orlando Resorts and MPI member. "MPI has once again proven its commitment to defining the power of the meetings by launching its Chancellors program."
Meeting Professionals International, with nearly 20,000 members in 64 countries with 60 chapters and four chapters in formation, is the leading global community committed to shaping and defining the future of the meeting and event industry. For more information, visit www.mpiweb.org.